Read the report: https://www.qarn.org.uk/homepage/the-report-of-the-inquiry-into-the-use-of-immigration-detention-in-the-united-kingdom/
Discuss it with your MP – write supporting the ideas of:
- a maximum detention period of 28 days,
- a restriction on the number of days that someone can be detained before a judicial authority must decide that the detention should continue.
Ideas from RtR
- Read the report, and tell everyone about it
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and on our blog as we will be updating you later this week on actions you can take with your local MPs and prospective parliamentary candidates
- Celebrate such a strong report, and such welcome recommendations!
A Joint Inquiry by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Refugees & the All Party Parliamentary Group on Migration
• There should be a time limit of 28 days on the length of time anyone can be held in immigration detention.
• Detention is currently used disproportionately frequently, resulting in too many instances of detention. The presumption in theory and practice should be in favour of community-based resolutions and against detention.
• Decisions to detain should be very rare and detention should be for the shortest possible time and only to effect removal.
• The Government should learn from international best practice and introduce a much wider range of alternatives to detention than are currently used in the UK. Continue reading “The Report of the Inquiry into the Use of Immigration Detention in UK”
Barbara Forbes 3 March: The first of our regular asylum vigils in Birmingham, tweeted by the Dean of the Cathedral.
Taking a stand @bhamcathedral in support of justice for asylum seekers @BhamAsylumVigil #welcome