Detention Forum: Don’t forget that you can ask PPCs questions about topics that are not contained in their manifesto documents. The more PPCs are asked about immigration detention and if they support #Time4aTimeLimit, a stronger message we will be sending to all the political parties that this is an important issue.
- 8 June – Voting day.
- 9 June – We will know the results!
Write to them!
You can write to your PPCs using the sample letter here (link to the sample letter).
Finding who your PPCs are can be a bit tricky, because there is no central list of all the PPCs’ contact details. However, after 12 May, the details of all your local candidates will be made available on your local council’s website and also from your local elections office (find their contact details here). You should also be able to find your candidates here after 12 May.
Tweet at them!
You can tweet at your PPCs and ask if they support #Time4aTimeLimit campaign. You can their Twitter address through this helpful website where known.
Here are some sample tweets.
- (Dear xxx,) Did you know that UK locks up migrants indefinitely? If elected, will you support a time limit on immigration #detention? #Time4aTimeLimit
- (Dear @XXX,) As a PPC in my constituency, I want to know whether you think it’s #Time4aTimeLimit on immigration detention in the UK?
- (Dear @XXX,) Have you read the #DetentionInquiry report & if elected, will you ensure its recommendations are implemented? #Time4aTimeLimit
- (Dear @XXX,) Immigration #detention harmful and expensive. UK doesn’t even have a time limit. Do you agree it’s #Time4aTimeLimit?
Speak to them!
Find out where the General Election hustings are taking place in your local area and ask the candidates if they support #Time4aTimeLimit. You can read our briefing papers here (see, for example, ‘Why UK must end its practice of indefinite detention – May 2017). You might also be canvassed – if that happens, ask what your candidate’s position on indefinite detention is and ask if they support #Time4aTimeLimit.
Ask your friends and family to do the same!
Election is all about what happens at local level. Can you ask your friends and family members to do the same?
Speak to us!
Did you get a positive or a negative response from your PPCs? Do you need help? Contact us on Twitter using a hashtag #Time4aTimeLimit or email at email@example.com We will do our best to respond to you.